top of page

Match Report: Wild 8 - Dragons 6

Matty Barlow (#89) scores in the Wild's 8-6 win over Deeside on Sunday (Photo by Geoff White)

Sunday 6th November 2022 – Moralee Division

YKK Widnes Wild 8 – Deeside Dragons 6

The YKK sponsored Widnes Wild picked up two valuable league points - and re-established local bragging rights - with an 8-6 win over near neighbours Deeside Dragons at Planet Ice Widnes on Sunday.

Deeside had won the previous meeting between the two teams earlier in the season and, once again, this was a typical local derby game - and a highly entertaining display of “old school” hockey with end to end action, lots of penalties and plenty of goals!

Deeside actually took an early lead in this game after just 14 seconds, with their first attack straight from the face off and it took until 13 minutes for the Wild to equalise with a Powerplay goal from Jonho Williamson.

Both teams had players in the penalty box by this stage after a fight had broken out on 11 minutes initially caused by a slash from Deeside’s keenly pugilistic Reece Cairney-Witter. Both he and Wild captain Tom Jackson got 5 minutes in the sin bin and they were joined by Mikey Gilbert who picked up a 10 minute misconduct penalty in the same incident.

The Dragons retook the lead, however, on 14 minutes and the score remained 1-2 at the first period break.

The second period started well for the Wild as Nathan Parkes-Britton drew them level again with a goal after just 99 seconds but Deeside continued to push forward and goals on 25 and 33 minutes saw them establish a two goal cushion.

A goal from the Wild’s Joe Greaves just two minutes later halved the deficit and then a powerplay goal from the same player with 75 seconds left in the period tied the score once again. At 4-4 after two periods, the game was on a knife-edge and the huge vocal crowd had plenty to look forward to in the final 20 minutes.

The third period saw Deeside take the lead once again with a strike on 44 minutes but within 28 seconds Widnes were level with an equaliser from Matty Barlow.

The string of niggly penalties that had littered this game continued into the third period and a fight between the Wild’s Lee Kemp and Deeside’s Jared Dickinson saw both banished to the box for 5 minutes on 46 minutes, with Dickinson also picking up an extra 2 for netminder interference.

During the ensuing powerplay, Barlow put Widnes ahead for the first time in the game and then, while Deeside’s Cairney-Witter was sitting another penalty for a check to the head, Joe Greaves scored his hat-trick goal to hand Wild a 7-5 lead with 9 minutes left to play.

Jacob Corson-Heron picked up a hooking penalty for Widnes with 2 minutes left and Deeside narrowed the deficit back to a single goal with a powerplay strike with just 49 seconds left on the clock.

The Dragons had removed their netminder in favour of an extra attacker for the last minute and continued with the extra attacker on the ice in the hope of forcing a last gasp equaliser - and this led to a rather unusual occurrence, which hardly ever happens in ice hockey, and is worth looking at in detail.

With just seconds left on the clock and the Dragons players all pushing forward, the Wild’s Matty Barlow picked up the puck and was skating in on the empty Deeside net when he was tripped by former Wild player Matt Wainwright.

This would normally have led to a Penalty Shot being awarded to Widnes, but as the netminder had been pulled and the presumption is that the attacker would have scored and, in those circumstances, the referee is allowed to award a Penalty Goal – even though the puck didn’t actually enter the net.

So, Wainwright was assessed a 0 minute penalty for tripping – as would also have been the case had the goal been scored during the resulting “delayed penalty” call or the consequential Penalty Shot - and Barlow was credited with a rare “Penalty Goal” at 59.57 on the clock, giving him a hat-trick for the evening.

That rounded off the scoring for the game and the Wild were able to celebrate their first victory over the Dragons since before the Covid lockdowns back in February 2020.

After the game, the Wild Player Of The Month Award for October was presented to Rhys Edwards. The monthly winner is voted for by the fans and is decided via a poll on the Wild club’s official Twitter account.

The Wild are next in action this Sunday 13th November when they take on North West rivals Blackburn Hawks in the Moralee Division at Planet Ice Widnes, 5.30pm face off.


Supporters of the Merseyside and Cheshire Blood Bikes were at the Wild game on Sunday holding a bucket collection for the charity. The organisation has been in existence for over 40 years. They not only deliver blood, but samples, paperwork and - more recently - donated breast milk from hospital to hospital. The riders are all volunteers, often using their own bikes to carry out their duties.


The Wild Academy U12 team won 3-7 away to Blackburn Under 12s on Sunday.

This Saturday 5th November sees the Academy Under 14 team at home to Solihull U14s at Planet Ice Widnes – 4.20pm face off – followed by the Wild Academy Under 18s against Sheffield Under 18s.

On Sunday the Wild Under 10 team have a cross ice tournament away at Blackburn featuring the host team plus Bradford and Manchester, starting at 4.45pm

Admission to all Academy home games at Planet Ice Widnes is free and spectators are encouraged to come along and cheer on the stars of the future.


Local skaters from the Widnes Ice Skating Club – who have learnt their craft through the “Learn to Skate” and “Show & Skate” sessions at Planet Ice Widnes - will have the chance to appear with their professional counterparts when they take part in the annual Christmas show at the rink on Monday 12th December.

The theme for the show is “A Christmas Carol” and tickets can be booked via the Planet Ice website at


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page